Screen Archive South East is a public sector moving image archive serving the South East of England. The archive's collections of magic lantern slides, films, videos and associated materials capture the many varied aspects of life, work and creativity from the early days of screen history to the present day and serve as a rich and invaluable historical resource.
This film is part of Free
Witness a part of bygone Canterbury being bulldozed into oblivion - making way for the city's new ring-road - in this film by the architect John Clague
From the collection of:
John Clague's poignant film shows part of the old Canterbury making way for the new. Derelict shops forming the Twyman's Corner block, including the premises of that name, are seen in various states of demolition. A concrete underpass can be seen under construction as well as foundations for the forthcoming ring-road. Surprisingly, both pedestrians and cars are seen negotiating the new layout, while, amid the rubble, we see the Chaucer Hotel and the distant cathedral.
John Clague was a keen amateur filmmaker who was based in Herne Bay. From 1934 to 1970 he produced annual newsreels showing events in Kent, particularly in Herne Bay and Canterbury. He used 9.5mm film at first but by the 1950s had adopted 16mm film and the collection forms a lively chronicle of Kentish life over 36 years. An architect by profession, John set up his own company in the 1930s, working on a diverse range of projects throughout the region.