The Media Archive for Central England is the public screen archive for the East and West Midlands. An independent charity and company based at the University of Lincoln, MACE acquires, catalogues, preserves and makes widely available moving image materials that inform our understanding of the diverse cultures and histories of communities between the Lincolnshire coast and the Welsh border.
This film is part of Free
Dale: The Building and Opening of Hereford Cattle Market
The centenary of Hereford Cattle Market sees a new extension and a parade of noble beasts through the city's streets.
From the collection of:
This reel that details the construction of a new extension to Hereford Cattle Market was shot by Frank Dale of Leominster, not just a keen amateur film maker but also the owner of the firm doing the building work. 17 October 1956 not only marked the opening of the new extension but was the centenary of the market's move from its original city centre home. This was celebrated by a return to the old ways and scenes of huge Hereford cattle being paraded through the historic city.
Hereford Cattle Market moved to a new site outside the city at Stretton Sugwas in 2011. In a nice bit of continuity the Leominster firm of Frank H. Dale again manufactured and assembled the steelwork for the new building.