This film is part of Free

Camberwell - Dedication of the Borough Mace at the Licensed Victuallers Asylum Chapel, Asylum Road, S.E.

Mayors, bishops and clergymen march through Camberwell to the asylum, better known today as Caroline Gardens.

Non-Fiction 1918 3 mins Silent


This film shows a procession of civil dignitaries and clergymen marching past a war memorial, followed by the Lord Bishop of Southwark. The Bishop is seen leaving the chapel behind the mace-bearer, accompanied by the Mayor and Mayoress of Camberwell. The Licensed Victuallers' Asylum was set up in 1827 for innkeepers and their families who had fallen on hard times.

The chapel was badly damaged in WWII and was never fully restored. The brewing industry sold the building in 1960 to Camberwell Council, which renamed the former asylum as Caroline Gardens, now a Grade II listed building.