The East Anglian Film Archive, the first and largest Regional Film Archive in England, was established in 1976. Since 1984, EAFA has been owned and operated by the University of East Anglia, Norwich (UEA), to support research and work to preserve our moving image heritage. More than 250 hours are freely available online as examples of the wide range of film which attracts interest the world over.
This film is part of Free
The Royal Show
Parades of the finest farm animals and machinery: 10 miles of displays on a 150 acre site at the Royal Show in 1951, enjoyed by thousands of visitors including The Queen.
From the collection of:
This film celebrates the spectacle of everything brought together on one site for the four days of the Royal Show held at Cambridge in 1951 - the livestock competitions and parades of sheep, pigs and cattle, working dogs and horses, and the displays of agricultural machinery, crafts and expertise. In the year inspired by the Festival of Britain, the Queen visits on the first day of the show and presents prize cups and long service medals to farmworkers (70 years on one farm!).
The Royal Show was an annual agricultural show organised by the Royal Agricultural Society of England every year from 1839 to 2009. It was a triumph of planning and logistics, particularly being held on a different site each year until 1963 when it settled at Stoneleigh Park (previously known as the National Agricultural Centre) near Stoneleigh in Warwickshire. At Cambridge in July 1951, the Show was located on a site at Trumpington, welcomed by the Mayor and Mayoress of Cambridge, and the Royal visitors were The Queen, the Princess Royal and the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester. The BBC broadcast programmes about the 1951 show for general viewers and also technical programmes specifically for farmers.