Screen Archive South East is a public sector moving image archive serving the South East of England. The archive's collections of magic lantern slides, films, videos and associated materials capture the many varied aspects of life, work and creativity from the early days of screen history to the present day and serve as a rich and invaluable historical resource.
This film is part of Free
Sunbury and its Environs
Leafy Sunbury on Thames is the perfect subject for this film made by members of the local Rotary Club - accompanied by river trips to Hampton Court and Windsor Castle
From the collection of:
Starting with views of Lower Sunbury by the Thames we embark on a filmic survey of the town's varied buildings; including leafy suburban and period housing, schools, offices, pubs, shops, churches, civic buildings and a dairy complete with tankers. After viewing locks on the river, we're onboard a pleasure steamer to Hampton Court and Windsor Castle before returning to Sunbury's ruthlessly modern town centre. We end with a Rotarian lunch held in the cricket pavilion.
The titles of this film announce that Sunbury is in the county of Middlesex. This was true at the time of filming but in 1965 the bulk of Middlesex was absorbed into what has become known as Greater London. The Sunbury-on-Thames Urban District, itself formed in 1894, was transferred to the County of Surrey. The Royal Mail, however, continued to classify Sunbury as a Middlesex postal district up until 1996. Following Local Governent reorganisation in 1974, the Sunbury Urban District was abolished and the town is now part of the borough of Spelthorne.