The figures in long, dark overcoats on Rhyl beach lend a funereal air to the sands and indicate that a Barbecue Summer is some way off! And the pier – perhaps not quite re-opened – suggests industry rather than entertainment but the Priddeys from Northfield, Birmingham, are not deterred. Jovial metallurgist Mr Priddey films his family (wife and 2 kids, a nanny and 2 cousins) – at Rhyl and Prestatyn, and glories in the waterfalls at Betws-y-Coed and at Dyserth, near Rhyl.
Some years after this footage was shot the family moved to Clydach, Mr Priddey having obtained a job at “the Mond” – a nickel carbonyl refinery opened in 1902 and built by Ludwig Mond, inventor of the nickel carbonyl process. By 1910, nearly half the village was employed at this refinery. Rhyl pier is seen in some shots, a large iron presence on the beach. It was opened in 1867 at 2355 ft in length but boat collisions, fire and storms all did their bit to undermine it and by 1913 it was closed, considered unsafe. Rhyl Council acquired it in the 1920s and it opened again in 1930, operating until 1966 when safety concerns again led to its closure. Its length, by then, was a mere 330 ft. Demolition began in 1973.