Screen Archive South East is a public sector moving image archive serving the South East of England. The archive's collections of magic lantern slides, films, videos and associated materials capture the many varied aspects of life, work and creativity from the early days of screen history to the present day and serve as a rich and invaluable historical resource.
This film is part of Free
Margate's Plaza Cinema
Margate's former Plaza Cinema looks a bit forlorn as it waits for yet another transformation in this short film from Alan Stingemore
From the collection of:
This short film starts on Grosvenor Hill, Margate, where we see the Plaza Cinema looking a bit sad and neglected. For Sale signs are seen on the building as well as advertising hoardings for Disney characters, and we also see architectural details of the still impressive building. From the end of the Harbour Arm we look back at the town with its large beach in the foreground. In the distance the distinctive shape of Margate's famous Dreamland leisure complex can be seen.
Originally opened as the Cinema De Luxe in February 1915, Margate’s Plaza received its new name in 1930. In 1936 the cinema's interior was given an Art Deco-style makeover and it continued screening films until 'Jaws 3D' marked the final performance in 1984. However, in October of that year the Plaza re-opened as an 'adult cinema', before closing two months later. After re-opening for summer seasons only from 1985 to 1987 the Plaza finally closed and its projection equipment was removed. The New Life Christian Fellowship used the Plaza as a church from 1988 to 2009. In 2014 the ex-cinema, now a Grade II listed building, was taken over by the Salvation Army.