Screen Archive South East is a public sector moving image archive serving the South East of England. The archive's collections of magic lantern slides, films, videos and associated materials capture the many varied aspects of life, work and creativity from the early days of screen history to the present day and serve as a rich and invaluable historical resource.
This film is part of Free
Croydon and Gatwick Airport
Members of the Surrey Flying Club erect their clubhouse at Croydon aerodrome while a few miles to the south we see Gatwick's pre-war terminal
From the collection of:
Members of the Surrey Flying Club build a clubhouse at their new base at Croydon aerodrome. On completion, it's opened by the town's mayor, Basil Monk. Aircraft take to the skies flying past happy club members including C A Nepean Bishop, the Chief Flying Instructor, while ‘Joy Rides’ are advertised at 10 shillings (50p) per flight. Finally, there are views of Gatwick's old passenger terminal, known as the 'Beehive', with a Silver City Bristol Freighter posing on the apron.
When the Redhill Flying Club disbanded in 1954, seventy-five former members set up the Surrey Flying Club and based themselves at Croydon Aerodrome. This film records the construction of their clubhouse and its official opening by Croydon’s Mayor. This film also provides a rare glimpse of Gatwick’s original passenger terminal, as well as the mainline railway station which served it. Officially opened in June 1936, the circular building was the first to provide covered gangways for passengers boarding aircraft and to have its own integrated mainline railway station. Now dwarfed by the present-day airport, the ‘Beehive’ was given a grade II listing in 1996.