This film is part of Free

Conway Bridge Centenary Celebrations

Centenary for suspension bridge built by world famous engineer Thomas Telford, a man born the son of a Scottish shepherd. The bridge was first opened to the public on 1st June 1826.

Non-Fiction 1927 12 mins Silent

From the collection of:

Logo for National Screen and Sound Archive of Wales


A record of events held to celebrate the centenary of the suspension bridge across the River Conwy, built by Thomas Telford, the son of a Scottish shepherd. Highlights were a civic procession and laying of wreaths at the cenotaph, a parade of historic locomotives (Stevenson's 'Rocket' as well as the 'Cornwall' and the 'The Welshman') and a pageant.

This bridge was one of the first suspension bridges to carry a road – from Chester to Bangor (the A55) - in the world. It replaced a ferry and was in use until a new road bridge was built alongside it in 1958. This second bridge, in its turn, has been superseded to a great extent by the Conwy Tunnel which since 1991 has enabled the A55 to bypass the town by going under the river. But local traffic still uses the 1958 bridge and Telford's bridge is still available to people on foot. The film-maker, originally from Rochdale, was a partner in the family business - the Princess Theatre cinema in Colwyn Bay - and used as a 'stringer' by a newsreel company to supply footage of events in the Colwyn Bay area.