The East Anglian Film Archive, the first and largest Regional Film Archive in England, was established in 1976. Since 1984, EAFA has been owned and operated by the University of East Anglia, Norwich (UEA), to support research and work to preserve our moving image heritage. More than 250 hours are freely available online as examples of the wide range of film which attracts interest the world over.
This film is part of Free
Cambridge college and boating scenes captured by a 1930s visitor.
From the collection of:
Cambridge and its colleges through the eyes of Mr Alec Paull of Colchester, visiting the town on a day out in the 1930s with his 9.5mm camera. He films leisurely punting and more energetic rowing near Trinity College bridge, The Wren Library and St John's College with its Bridge of Sighs. Then through the gates of Trinity College into the Great Court with the Fountain and Chapel, and on to view King's College from King's Parade.
The covered bridge linking the buildings of St John's College either side of the river was built 1831 and named after the Bridge of Sighs in Venice. The road and footpaths along The Backs offer a public view of the magnificent buildings of those colleges backing onto the riverside, even when the college gates are closed to visitors.