This film is part of Free

What's Missing from this Picture?

Life is looking up! The war is over and the “Corona” Man can visit his “Corona” families once more, door-to-door.

Advert 1946 1 mins Silent

From the collection of:

Logo for National Screen and Sound Archive of Wales

Overview

The "Corona" sparkle, that's what's missing! But not for much longer. As this cinema advert makes clear, "Corona" drinks will soon be delivered door-to-door again, the service having been disrupted during WWII when lorries and drivers were commandeered by the government. "Corona" drinks were manufactured by Thomas & Evans Ltd, the first factory being in Porth, Rhondda, at the Welsh Hills Mineral Water Factory (since 2000 a recording studio known as The Pop Factory).

The original Mr William Thomas and Mr William Evans were Porth grocers who, in the 1890s, decided to market an alternative to alcohol for thirsty miners. They were not successful in getting pubs to stock their soft drinks but did excellent business selling door-to-door to families, using horses and carts and, later, vans. Further factories were opened in e.g. Pengam, Maesteg and Bridgend. Corona was sold in 1958 to The Beecham Group, which kept the company brand and production continued to be centralised in the south until 1987 when the company was bought by Britvic Soft Drinks and the Welsh Hills plant was closed, production being transferred to Lancashire. The Corona brand was withdrawn in the late 1990s.