This film is part of Free

The Tal-Y-Llyn Railway

The engine ‘Dolgoch’ bumps and bounces its coaches – and two teapots - along the line from Tywyn Wharf Station to Abergynolwyn, before its closure in 1950.

Amateur film 1949 10 mins Silent

From the collection of:

Logo for National Screen and Sound Archive of Wales


A film that pays homage to the charms of the Talyllyn Railway, following the engine 'Dolgoch', with coaches attached, as it bumps and bounces its way along the grassy line from Tywyn Wharf Station to Abergynolwyn, stopping at Towyn Pendre Station, Rhydyronen, Brynglas and Dolgoch (after passing over the Dolgoch viaduct). Believed to have been shot by the Rev. Albert Knowles (d.1990) who lived at least the latter part of his life in Grindleton, Clitheroe, Lancashire.

Opening in 1866, the Talyllyn Railway transported slate – and also passengers - from Bryneglwys Quarry to Abergynolwyn and Towyn. It closed in 1950 but was not out of operation for long as the Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society was instituted in 1951 – the first society of its kind in the world - and dedicated to its successful revival.