The East Anglian Film Archive, the first and largest Regional Film Archive in England, was established in 1976. Since 1984, EAFA has been owned and operated by the University of East Anglia, Norwich (UEA), to support research and work to preserve our moving image heritage. More than 250 hours are freely available online as examples of the wide range of film which attracts interest the world over.
This film is part of Free
A film that celebrates the history of Felixstowe port from its founding in 1875, and the continuing expansions in 1972, when the film was made.
From the collection of:
There has been a dock for ships at Felixstowe harbour since 1886, but it was not until 1956 that it became a port handling larger ships. ‘Growth Port’, made in 1972 by The Felixstowe Dock & Railway Company, tells of the continuing expansion of Felixstowe docks. The film also shows 1930s archive footage of the former flying boat base and the Schneider Trophy seaplanes, forerunner of the Spitfire. In September 1988, the one millionth container passed through Felixstowe port.
A second film, ‘The Living Port’, was made in 1975, that continues the story of the expansion of Felixstowe docks.