This film is part of Free

F Parkin and Son Ltd Engineering Suppliers

The growth of Cornwall’s Steel and Shipbuilding Industries

News 1980 1 mins

From the collection of:

Logo for South West Film and Television Archive

Overview

A&P Appledore International came about when Austin & Pickersgill and Appledore shipbuilders were integrated. With the collapse of Court Line in 1974 APA acquired the ship repair facilities of Falmouth Docks and Engineering Company in 1984. APA Falmouth is the third largest naturally deep water harbour in the world. There are four yards with a steel fabrication shed, engineering workshop and joinery workshop.

The development of Falmouth Docks began in 1858 and the first ship docked there in 1861. Viscount Falmouth laid the foundation stone.