This film is part of Free
Congregations Leaving St. Hilda's Church, Middlesbrough (1902)
Edwardian worshippers at a since-demolished church in Middlesbrough's former centre.
Middlesbrough was still a fledgling settlement, little bigger than a village, when St Hilda's was consecrated in 1840. By the time this film was made, the town was booming, and dense with foundries and factories. But after years of post-WWII decline, the historic centre north of the railway became dilapidated. Captured on canvas by LS Lowry in 1959, St Hilda's was demolished a decade later.