This film is part of Free

Beningbrough Hall Restored

Beningbrough Hall Restored

In this documentary, the declining Beningbrough Hall receives indispensable refurbishment and is transformed into a tourist attraction.

Sponsored film 1979 11 mins

From the collection of:

Logo for Yorkshire Film Archive

Overview

This record of the restoration of Beningbrough Hall captures the significant positive change that refurbishment made to the once derelict building. At the start of the film, the camera sweeps through the eerie abandoned stately home before restoration work begins. These images give way to workmen and new developments on the site as debris is removed and all rooms are restored.

Beningbrough Hall was built by landowner John Bourchier III in 1716. The building contains ornate Baroque interiors and cantilevered stairs. The building is owned by the National Trust and houses 100 portraits from the National Portrait Gallery.