Lakenham Cricket Pavilion, distinctive by its thatched roof, sets the backdrop at Norfolk’s home cricket ground, where fans collar the cricketing stars of the West Indies team to get an autograph. Recorded by a member of the Gowing family of Norwich, the footage shows the visit by the West Indies cricket team during their 1939 tour of England, which had to be cut short owing to the preparations for and outbreak of World War Two.
The Lakenham Pavilion seen in this footage was officially opened by Russell Colman, Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk on 10 June 1936, built as a memorial to Captain Geoffrey Colman, Russell’s son, who had left a sum of money to be spent for the benefit of the employees of Colman’s Carrow Works.
The East Anglian Film Archive, the first and largest Regional Film Archive in England, was established in 1976. Since 1984, EAFA has been owned and operated by the University of East Anglia, Norwich (UEA), to support research and work to preserve our moving image heritage. More than 250 hours are freely available online as examples of the wide range of film which attracts interest the world over.