Westward TV's series The Privileged? The Loose Change delves into the controversial issue of university funding and the system of grants provided for students in the late sixties. This film is a valuable record showing the expansion and significant growth of the University campus and with it the number of students and attempts to quantify just how much loose change is available for both.
From the humble beginnings as a School of Art, the University College of the South West was established in 1922 when W H Reed offered the Streatham Hall estate for its location in the city of Exeter. This formed the basis of today’s University of Exeter and in 1955 full university status was granted with the four distinct faculties of Arts, Science, Social Studies and Law. In 1962 the Medical School opened and St Luke’s College was added in 1978. In 1993 the long established Camborne School of Mines in Cornwall became affiliated to the University and a new campus opened in Penryn in 2004. In 2012 the University of Exeter joined the prestigious Russell Group of Universities.
The South West Film and Television Archive (SWFTA) is the regional film archive for the South West of England. Established in 1993, SWFTA's core collection comprises of the combined programme libraries of Westward Television and TSW (Television South West). The archive also cares for a significant number of donated film collections, both amateur and professional, dating back to the early 1900s.