Blackburn, in the pale strip, take on an unidentified team (possibly Manchester City in their away strip) in this short fragment of what was probably a much longer film shot at Ewood Park in front of a full-to-bursting main stand. The Rovers had been struggling for some years as funds were diverted to improving facilities. They finished the 1903-04 season 15th out of 18 in the First Division.
A few years after this film was made Ewood Park's old main stand was replaced by the Nuttall Street Stand, designed by Archibald Leitch, a famous architect with a string of football stadiums to his name. The new stand opened in 1907 and was in use until the 1990s.